About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Monday, September 21, 2009
Worship Thinking Twitter Storm

Late last week in preparation for the conference I taught at in St. Louis (which was a very good time) I got into a Twitter Storm of ideas. Because I am still thinking those posts through, I want to post them below for any feedback, pushback or conversation they might generate.

what if worship is more about presencing the practices of God rather than practicing the presence of God?

people commonly think of worship as "filling up" and mission as "pouring out." what if it's just the opposite?

re: mission as filling up and worship as pouring out- c Jesus: "My food is to do the will of him who sent me."

What if worship is the practice of God presenced in people and mission is the presence of God practiced through people?

Have we reduced worship 2 evangelistic mission outreaches for seekers & mission 2 evangelistic worship services for believers?

interested in your thoughts. . . . .








Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 9/21/2009 07:28:00 AM

 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Paul G said...

These are some cool, thought-provoking statements about worship.

I wanted to comment on all of them but I only have time to do one, so I picked my favorite!

"people commonly think of worship as "filling up" and mission as "pouring out." what if it's just the opposite?"

I thoroughly agree with this statement! For as long as I can remember, I've viewed worship as pouring myself out to God. I think of King David in 2 Samuel 6 when he was bringing the Ark of the Lord back to Jerusalem. He was so intently focused on God that he could care less about what was going on around him or what others thought about him. He told his wife,

"...I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes!" - 2 Samuel 6:21-22

David was pouring himself out to God and I believe doing that is what true worship is. Not saying we have to dance around naked or make a fool of ourselves, but we should allow ourselves to pour out into Him!

Just my thoughts. I enjoy your writing...keep it coming!

- paulg

11:40 AM EDT  
Blogger stanwoodabby said...

had a pretty surprising experience this summer of being filled up. i was worrying about heading out on a short-term trip to preach at some camps in burundi b/c i knew i would be totally exhausted from the work i was doing at church. ended up being filled with inner strength and passion through those days of intense preaching and listening. just not sure why this happened in africa and why work in my own church wipes me out.

1:09 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...