About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Sunday, September 27, 2009
Worship Quote of the Week: George Mueller

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the non-public worship life of the worship leader. It's so easy for anyone who leads in any dimension of public ministry to develop a highly functional approach to scripture and prayer. (i.e. I approach them with an immediate need to get something out of this for someone else, etc.) The challenge is to move from what I call an "extraction" to an "immersion" paradigm. How do we encounter Word and Spirit in a deeply immersive fashion? I like the way George Mueller gets at it in this quote.

“Before this time my practice had been, at least for ten years previously, as an habitual thing, to give myself to prayer after having dressed in the morning. Now, I saw that the most important thing was to give myself to reading God’s Word, and to meditate on it, that thus my heart might be comforted, encouraged, warned, reproved, instructed….

This first thing I did, after having asked in a few words of the Lord’s blessing upon his precious Word, was to begin to meditate on the Word of God, searching as it were into every verse to get blessing out of it; not for the sake of public ministry, but for the sake of obtaining food for my own soul.

The result I have found to be almost invariably this, that after a few minutes my soul has been led to confession, or to thanksgiving, or to intercession, or to supplication; so that, though I did not, as it were, give myself to prayer, but to meditation, yet it turned almost immediately more or less to prayer. When thus I have been for a while making confession or intercession or supplication, or have given thanks, I go on to the next words or verse, turning all, as I go, into prayer for myself or others, as the Word may lead to it, but still continually keeping before me that food for my own soul is the object of my meditation. The result of this is that…my inner man almost invariably is even sensibly nourished and strengthened…”

The Journal of George Mueller

Spring 1841, Bristol England

ht to worship frequency blog for the quote.

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 9/27/2009 12:30:00 AM

 

4 Comments:

Blogger sandra r. said...

JD!
Sometimes I'm way excited to see these posts because it's EXACTLY what I've been thinking/processing (like just yesterday!). I kind of freak out for a second.
I've come to an understanding, though, that it's not really just coincidence but more providence. (Wish I could've had this realization in life a bit sooner...)

Müller's autobiography is in my top 5 books of all time.
Love these kind of quotes that inspire and challenge!

Thanks & God bless.

12:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Michelle said...

In my way of thinking, this is what it comes down to: worship is a lifestyle choice. It seems that everything, at least in my mind, flows out of my personal worship time with the Lord. I have been involved with worship - on the stage - in some capacity for 10 years now. It's this immersion of myself in the personal worship/prayer/devotion time that allows me to extract in the public.

9:49 PM EDT  
Anonymous Josh said...

Thanks for this one JD. This has been a big ongoing topic of conversation with Joe and Brandon. Seriously, almost weekly talking about this. Extraction vs. Immersion. Need to chew on this a while.

ipoy - j

10:14 PM EDT  
Anonymous Samuel Heinzman said...

Wow, i've caught myself so many times going to the word to try and "get something" out to use for a communion meditation or call to worship or you name it. This quote is very convicting and somewhat troubling. Troubling in the sense that I didn't really realize that I was doing that. No wonder its always so hard...

11:46 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...