About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Monday, September 28, 2009
The Jesus of Nazareth School of Prayer

The 9 Prayers of Jesus

Matthew 6:9-13. Our Father. . . . . .

Matthew 11:25-26. Blessed are you Abba, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Abba, for this was your good pleasure.

John 11:41-43. “. . . Abba, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me. . . . . Lazarus, come out!”

John 12:27-28. “Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Abba, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Abba, glorify your name!”

Mark 14:36. “Abba, nothing is impossible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

Luke 23:34. “. . . Abba, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

Mark 15:34. “ Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Luke 23:46. “. . . Abba, into your hands I commit my spirit.”

John 17:1-26. “. . . . My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Abba, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. . . . .”

How might we find ways to bring these prayers into corporate worship? Doesn't it make sense that we would find ways to pray in the way of Jesus? His prayer life is our very prayer curriculum. Ideas?

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 9/28/2009 10:30:00 PM

 

2 Comments:

Anonymous John D. Palmer said...

Sermon Series? Worship Series? Small Group/Sunday School Class?

I think its a great idea. I like it. You could tweet them. You could facebook them.

Nice reflection.

11:24 AM EDT  
Blogger sandra r. said...

K... I'm breaking the silence... ;-)

Our church's current sermon series is "Red Letters: Words of Jesus". Our teaching pastor used two of these nine prayers - Luke 23:34 and Matthew 27:46 - this past weekend in a pretty evangelistic message.
Coincidence? I still think not.

What I had not realized prior to his mentioning was that in the prayer in Matthew 27:46, it's the first time in Christ's entire existence that His relationship with the Father is broken... There is no "Abba" in this prayer!! He cries out, "My God, my God..." He was forsaken by His own Father as He took the weight of our sins upon Himself (2 Corinthians 5:21).
It was just a pretty profound realization to me to think of love in these terms.
AMAZING!!
{1 John 4:10}

The question on how to incorporate these prayers into corporate worship seems like a tough one to answer because it seems that this would take an in-depth series of some kind (as mentioned above). I mean, sometimes you might hear a lot of emphasis on the Lord's prayer...that's even a lot to process...but, who's ever really given focus to the other eight?!

It's all really a lot to take in. So good, though!

1:27 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...