About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Monday, April 28, 2008
Worship Quote of the Week
This from the late Robert Webber--

If God is the object of worship, then worship must proceed from me, the
subject, to God, who is the object. . . . If God is understood, however,
as the personal God who acts as subject in the world and in worship rather
that the remote God who sits in the heavens, then worship is understood
not as the acts of adoration God demands of me but as the disclosure of
Jesus, who has done for me what I cannot do for myself. In this way
worship is the doing of God’s story within me so that I live in the
pattern of Jesus’s death and resurrection.

This is truly a massive paradigm changing statement that has the potential to radically change the way we design and lead worship. So what are the practical implications of a definition like this for our week to week practice of worship?
posted by John David Walt | at 4/28/2008 10:45:00 AM

 

2 Comments:

Blogger J. Ted Voigt said...

that's a great quote! thanks for sharing it!

I think the biggest paradigm-shift that would result from seeing worship this way would be away from program-based worship. At most churches, worship = a program. It's a time and a place. When is worship? 11 am in the sanctuary.

But if we view God as a present, relational, "subject", then worship becomes actions and conversations that are ongoing, in all places, impossible to schedule, difficult to regulate... all scary ideas for board members and elders of churches.

1:59 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't tell your friends at Passion this, or they may have to blow it all up and start all over.

4:34 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...