About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Friday, February 15, 2008
Lent, again
Lent, again

Small Baptist church
Edge of the city
Family farms were gone
Ever widening streets
Car lots and early stage
Of strip malls
Good people
Almost “country folk”
My mom’s people

They knew the Bible
They loved it
They tried to live it
No creeds or rituals so
They believed

Lent was bad, almost evil
Empty routine of
False religion
Catholics and Lutherans
Maybe some others so
Far from faith

Home is not so distant
Four or five hours down the freeway
Decades later, now about four
Yearly ashes to my forehead
The joy of sorrow
The smudge of death
The touch of some pastor
I hardly know

What was once forbidden
Now is my food, my life
I worry for a moment that I may later see
Someone I know at the
Store who won't understand

Six weeks Wednesday at noon
Sitting with Glenn
Sometimes others join us
A hymn or two
Short sermon
Some good, some not
Prayer
Lunch in the basement
Church cookbook casserole
Creamy salad
Cookies or cakes
Water or tea
Neither of us drinks coffee
Talk of family and sports
Maybe the sermon
Church friends and politics
Work updates
We say our goodbyes

Giving up something, maybe
Remembering, anything to help
Holy Week, the beginning with
Sword ferns posing as palms
Maundy Thursday
It took a long time to
Understand the “Maundy”
Good Friday,
It’s trite,
But who ever thought to
Call it “good?”
The dark, quiet and waiting

Easter and
It’s over
Day of joy
Get my life back, again
Not sure I want it
At this cost

The seasons end
I hope it will come again
Next year
Or maybe, I hope
I’ll be here next year
To remember that
It happened
Jesus suffered
And I live

Jim Schmotzer
Lent 2008

hat tip to Steve Moore for passing this one on to me.

Labels: ,

posted by John David Walt | at 2/15/2008 07:09:00 AM

 

2 Comments:

Blogger jeremiah said...

great lines...
my fav part

Easter and
It’s over
Day of joy
Get my life back, again
Not sure I want it
At this cost

Good to see that FARMstrong went to rehab (no no nooo)

10:23 PM EST  
Blogger Corey Mason said...

story!

8:53 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...