About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Thursday, December 13, 2007
MY GRANDFATHER SINGS AGAIN
I found a cassette with your voice singing.
The wheels of the tape turned away from time
to let me hear your rendition of Folsom Prison Blues.
When I was a boy, I sat on your lap and you taught
me those words--the song of a lonely prisoner
staring from his cell window at the miles
of metal rail that lead the train past the jail.
When I was a boy, the dollar bill woven in your strings
was a rattling snare of steam; your voice was a wheel
grinding the track, rolling across California.
But now, when that song floats into my adult ears,
you are the whole train pressing on into the distance
and I am the prisoner listening to a whistle blow
the hot sound of freedom. I am watching
the train's slow escape, the soot billow falling behind
to earth as a frown of black cloud.

This is one of my sensei's poem's-- one of my favorites-- from his collection entitled, "Morning and What has Come Since." (Finish Line Press) Dave Harrity's blog is here.

Why do these images feel like Advent to me?

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 12/13/2007 07:07:00 PM

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob Mehner said...

"people get ready, there's a train a comin'..."

i think the idea of captivity hearing, sensing freedom, is the idea of advent.

10:39 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...