About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Thursday, July 12, 2007
Quote of the Month

"This, then, is our desert: to live facing despair, but not to consent. To trample it down under hope in the Cross. To wage war against despair unceasingly. That war is our wilderness. If we wage it courageously, we will find Christ at our side.

Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude.

photo taken a couple of summers back on my Father's Farm.
posted by John David Walt | at 7/12/2007 08:29:00 AM

 

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob Mehner said...

love the merton. i'm glad to see this post, jd...let's me know you survived cuzin camp.

9:19 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trample despair down with hope. Reminds me of a recent post on my site about a lady who longed to see her grandchildren (Sunday Storytime). Hope is mainly what we have to hang on to!
Glad you survived Cousin Camp.

2:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merton always amazes me. The idea of confronting what the world is without Christ in this manner is poetic. It really paints a great picture of the "in-between" time of Christ's coming and the eschaton.

JD, you have given me another book that I want to read now.

5:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

This is one of my favorite quotes...thanks for reminding me of it!

11:27 AM EDT  
Blogger ode2immortality said...

that's just good stuff right there...

3:10 PM EDT  
Blogger amberly said...

you write and speak and serve with the authority and humility of one who has trampled down despair with hope. more than once. glad to be a part of this ATS community with you.

11:08 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great! this reminds me of my blogspot that centers around the theme of 'Desert thirst; quenching a radical aggression'. good stuff.

3:40 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...