About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Friday, June 15, 2007
Holy Spirit= THE Gift

Anybody out there studying the Holy Spirit with me in these days after Pentecost? I am learning that at the same time He is my subject, He is also my teacher.

I shared this brief story in my sermon the other day. "At my graduation from the seminary, I asked then President, Maxie Dunnam, to write a charge in my bible. At the top of the charge he wrote these words,

John David, I charge you, to keep the gift of the Holy Spirit stirred up within you."

In my reading today, Father Cantalamessa speaks of the Holy Spirit as the Most High Gift of God. He writes:

For the present, it is enough that we keep in mind that the Holy Spirit infuses in us not only "the gift of God," but also the ability and the need to give ourselves. From the Spirit we "catch," so to say, the very qualities of what he is in himself. The Spirit is "self-giving," and in whomever he touches, the Spirit creates a dynamism that leads that one, in turn, to be a self-giving gift to others....

The very same observation must be made concerning "gift": Coming to us, the Holy Spirit not only brings us the gift of God, but also God's self-giving. The Holy spirit is in very truth the fountain of living water that, once received, "wells up to eternal life" (John 4:14), which is to say that it squirts up and splashes onto anyone who happens to be near.

What are the implications of thinking of the Holy Spirit as THE gift. How might this enliven our awareness and embolden our faith. Remember, "faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1).

What does it look like to "keep the gift of the Holy Spirit stirred up with in you?" What practices evoke this reality?

COME HOLY SPIRIT!


photo: Mary Kathryn and my birthday date.

Labels: ,

posted by John David Walt | at 6/15/2007 08:38:00 AM

 

1 Comments:

Blogger chad said...

I almost bought this today when my boy Alan and I went to our "secret" Catholic Bookstore. I may try to find it used because it looks like a great read

4:41 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...