About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Thursday, March 15, 2007
Lent Poetry from David Harrity
My new friend, and hopefully poetry mentor, David Harrity passed one of his poems to me earlier this week which struck the Lenten chord in my soul. I wanted to share it here and take the opportunity to commend his work to you. (see below)

GOD WALKING

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me...His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. Revelation 1:12, 14

Collect all the faithful like wheat,
gather them at the beginning
of the rolling mountain—
this is where I will come to you.

I will give you each a name,
one name for each head of hair,
one for each hungry mouth.
one for each back bearing weight.

I will be born with you, with
human hands. I will be cast in
your own iron. I will be like
a raving bull among the people.

But you will scatter across this world
just as easily as you were gathered.
Throw yourselves like seeds to the hungry
fields of earth. You will be turned over.

You will be smashed into the soil
with my thunder hand. You will
be divided again and again. It will
be easy for you to forget your name.

This mountain will fall from your
mind like a wasted dream and you
will wander far from me into
this world’s dark wood.

You will build bridges to abandonment.
You will flock east, like a driven
chevron of fading birds. You will run
from each step that I have taken.

Each footprint I have pressed into the
clay of the earth. Carry yourselves.
Confused created, work of my hands,
you have lost me—follow my steps

back from the deep dark of the east,
back to the searing fire of my eyes,
back to the ashen wool of my hair,
back to the red door of my house.

Come back to these arms, daughters
and sons, I will forgive your wandering.
Be joined with your father,
take back the light of your names.

David's new book of poetry, "Morning and What Has Come Since" may be purchased HERE
His blog may be found here.
posted by John David Walt | at 3/15/2007 07:25:00 PM

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...