About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Sunday, March 04, 2007
Encouraging Sabbath
We are working to encourage our Community Life team at the seminary to practice Sabbath. I have been trying to encourage this group for the past few weeks in intentional ways with short reflections. Here's the latest:

A few years back I bought a book of Wendell Berry's poetry called, "A Timbered Choir: The Sabbath Poems 1979-1997." It turns out he takes a walk every Sabbath in the morning, usually through the woods, and during that walk he writes a poem. Don't you love that idea? I do. Something about poetry just fits Sabbath to me-- the way with poetry that words aren't laboriously working to describe things, rather they are effortlessly colliding to create things. Poetry releases words to play at creation. I often find myself sitting in church on Sunday mornings scratching out words and finding them chasing each other on my bulletin. Enough musing on that.

So here's some verse from one of Berry's Sabbath poems:

Why must the gate be narrow?
Because you cannot pass beyond it burdened.
To come in among these trees you must leave behind
the six days' world, all of it, all of its plans and hopes.
You must come without weapon or tool, alone,
expecting nothing, remembering nothing,
into the ease of sight, the brotherhood of eye and leaf.

Now here's some of our own Chad Brooks Sabbath poetry I found on his blog I like it too.

downward dance,
with you I descend
know me and shape me
Christ my friend

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 3/04/2007 09:34:00 PM

 

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay Rae said...

I love that book too! One of my poetry profs recommended it to me based on my poetic trajectory. Yay for Wendall Berry and Sabbath!

4:42 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JD, your support and love of my poetry is oddly validating

9:05 PM EST  
Blogger wes said...

I posted

4:09 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...