About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Monday, January 15, 2007
It's Time!!!!

Yes. . . . He's Back. . . . The indefatigueable Jack Bauer is back. . . . from the dead, no less. 24, like no other tv show, made it's season premiere both last night and tonight in two two-hour installments. What a show. Jack Bauer is rising into truly messianic status from hour one this season. And from hour one this year, it looks like they are taking a different tack. Is the Hero paradigm being discarded for the Martyr move. One thing is sure-- Jack Bauer is being used to reveal to us the secret of life. It's the one all the martyrs have shown us through the ages. Francis perhaps said it most succinctly: "The Secret to Life is to die before you die." The secret of the invincibility of Jack Bauer is this: he's already dead.

What is it about this show that is different from other shows? lets talk about it.
posted by John David Walt | at 1/15/2007 11:23:00 AM

 

8 Comments:

Blogger Michel said...

I got to admit, I found it kind of dull.

3:00 AM EST  
Blogger Rob Mehner said...

blasphemy right here on farmstrong...24...dull?!? one thing i find in it is finely crafted solution where individual character stories and flaws are mixed just right with a sense of the larger story; of the noble.

7:50 AM EST  
Blogger Michel said...

I'm sorry, I tried it... I rented the DVD I gave it a fair shake. It just wasn't my kind of puzzle. I know what I am saying is sacriledge to fellow Farmstrong readers, but I know you all well enough to say that you would value honesty more than complaisance.

8:47 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michel,
That's okay, I love 24, but I never really ever got the point of the super popular LOST.
Jack Bauer is discovering his soul this season "I didn't want to die for nothing...today, I can die for something." Perhaps he's having an Ecclesiastes moment....
The show resonates with some people, I think, because Jack pursues justice, but with integrity, Jack is loyal and gets the job done. People wish they had a friend like Jack Bauer.

2:35 PM EST  
Blogger T-Craig said...

JD,

Sorry to ask this here, but I couldn't find your email address. I was wondering if you could send me the story of the ant and grasshopper that you told last month at the campus ministry summit or point me to the source. Also, didn't get to catch your Passion breakout session (it was full), but looks like you have done some more work on the presentation. I see a book or magazine article in the works! My email is tcraig@asburytulsa.org. Thanks!

4:20 PM EST  
Blogger T-Craig said...

JD,

Sorry to ask this here, but I couldn't find your email address. I was wondering if you could send me the story of the ant and grasshopper that you told last month at the campus ministry summit or point me to the source. Also, didn't get to catch your Passion breakout session (it was full), but looks like you have done some more work on the presentation. I see a book or magazine article in the works! My email is tcraig@asburytulsa.org. Thanks!

4:21 PM EST  
Blogger Mike Gilger said...

Wes and I got back up to school this week, and we had never seen 24. It was tempting to start from season one and work our way up to the current season... But I think we are just going to have to keep checking in on FarmStrong to see what is going on, if we have any chance of going to classes this semester

10:12 PM EST  
Blogger jeremiah said...

Jack is the hero we all want to be. He does all the things we wish we could...and has some pretty cool tech gadgets to boot. He says all the wrong things, for all the right reasons, and with enough fierceness to persuade the Pres of the USA? You kiddin me? Whow wouldnt want to watch him?
A jealous love for the hurt and for the innocent? An out of control desire to see justice? Sounds like someone Else I know...or Who knows me rather.
PS - Will Audrey make an appearance this season? Will Kim? For the love of decent television, PLEASE no.

10:35 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...