About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Saturday, August 12, 2006
Rhyme Scheming
Poet’s first attempt at rhyming
seems wooden feeling forced
the words they hold together
but mysteries divorced

Poet's second shot at rhyme
breathes beneath the surface air
inhaling depths of sense unknown
exhaling joy like prayer

a wistly playful turn of phrase
in ordinary’s field
unearths the happiest treasure
how were it so concealed

Then resting on a tombstone
sees horizon’s hidden sky
her versing through infinity
grants bravery to die

brilliant broadband streams of heaven
porous sparkling through her skin
freighting cosmic understanding
in scratchings of a pen

I've been out of pocket the past few days working in power-drive. I did manage to write a couple of poems, though, in the margins. I love the rhyming poets. Frost and Dickenson make it look so easy-- until you try it yourself. That's when you realize their true Jedi-Knight status as poets. So that's where this one came from.


The photo-- Meet the Teacher night at David's new school. He begins Kindergarten on Tuesday. Hard to believe and a happy-sad moment for us here in FARMStrong House. More to come on that next week. That's David and his friend, Jackson Lewis, who will be in the same class. Nothing like having a friend near-by on that first day and through that first year. Jackson's parents are here for seminary. His father is serving as an intern on our chapel team this year. The teacher is Mrs. Adams and she seems great. In the process of this, it occurred to me that my Kindergarten teacher was also named Mrs. Adams. She was about 60 years older than this Mrs. Adams though. ;-) Next week, in reflecting on David's first day, I intend to share some reflections on my first day of Kingdergarten. Should be fun.

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 8/12/2006 11:13:00 AM

 

6 Comments:

Blogger b.h. swan said...

Read The Crucible.

And The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is a chapter out of Wind in the Willows. So it is not my own.

12:45 PM EDT  
Blogger b.h. swan said...

I like the new poem. I love how you describe an attempt at rhyme. Amazing. Love it.

11:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Rob Mehner said...

So today makes an even dozen years of sending my son off for the first day of school. My daughter re-enters the public school system after a year of home schooling. Here's a "fun" thing to do...figure out what your age will be when Sammy heads off for the first day of his senior year. OUCH.

7:26 AM EDT  
Blogger DGH said...

Hey J.D. I got tagged and so I am now tagging you! Congrats...go to my blog to find out what the heck I am talking about!

http://dg.hollums.com

Have a great day! and I am praying for ya!

and i will be praying for ya while your gone too! oh and Tel Christ I love his new song on iTunes! Can't wait for the rest!

10:09 AM EDT  
Blogger DGH said...

(reply from comment on my blog--->)

Yes, that is correct it is a form of SPAM...and I don't blame you for not doing it...but honestly it is all about books, and I would love to know what books you would put down...that is the only reason I "tagged" you.

Thanks and let me know about the Nike+ thing...I realize that there will never be a challenge that I will win with any of my friends (unless I can find some fat friends fast, heh)...but maybe if we can get several friends together then a little accountability and comp. can occur! Thanks and God bless ya!

4:21 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use to work for Mrs.Adams in her classroom. She is great teacher. David will learn a lot and have fun in the process. It scares me to think of my little girls first day of school, about 5 years from now. I loved your poem.
Sarah

1:51 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...