About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Kindergarten
Kindergarten
closes the Summer of summers
ending the era of
2,219 salad days.
“Summer is over and gone,
over and gone,” sang the crickets.
Now opens a gentle door
to conformity’s system
begins with crayons and glue sticks,
#2 pencils and piggish pink erasers;
passes through lunch boxes and lockers,
ends with computers and credentials.
This kinder kind of interlude
so-called childrens’ garden
gathering a generation
ostensibly for preparation
the 12 year test of 6;
home stand over
long road trip on
and though backpacks boast ready supplies,
the keys to the Kingdom hide
in childhood’s short eternity,
buried on the playgrounds of promises kept
in the recesses of time.

I guess I've been working on this one about six years now. Just birthed into words last night and this morning. David started Kindergarten today and though I have great confidence in this school and in his teacher, I also must feel like many other parents, wondering if this really is the way. Despite, conventional school's long established record and despite even my own "successful" experience, I guess I'm a skeptic. So, as usual, I work it out in words. anyone see what i'm talking about with these phrases? anyone identify?

btw, for you E.B. White fans, that cricket quote is attributed to Charlotte's Web. ;-)

Photos: that's Tiffani giving David the pre-K cut on Kindergarten eve in the front yard. I call the next one "It's My Hair!" Warmed my heart that David requested I style his hair this morning in the tradition of what is known around here as Daddy's "Stand-up Hair." how about that!


Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 8/15/2006 02:12:00 PM

 

13 Comments:

Anonymous Matthew said...

Seriously. Is there anything Tiffani CAN'T do?

3:20 PM EDT  
Blogger shannon said...

1st day of school already? how can that be? love-Shannon

3:58 PM EDT  
Anonymous JP said...

"the keys to the kingdom hide in childhood's short eternity"
JD, that line was hot!
Personally, I think you hit this one out of the park, across the river and into the window across the street. Can I print this off and give it to some teachers I know? Attributed of course to you and Farmstrong!
I agree with Matthew, the Tiff is a renaissance woman!

4:02 PM EDT  
Blogger JohnDeere said...

ummmmmmmm. . . . . . . this is not about Tiffani. . . . .;-) ok! ok! i have a small inferiority complex around her,. . . . . but just a small one.

here's a funny one. the neighborhood kids call me "Mr. Tiffani." yes-- i'm secure in my manhood.

so needless to say, comment of the day award goes to jp-- of course you can print it off. you da man. jd

8:52 PM EDT  
Blogger DGH said...

nice alliteration going on especially with, "#2 pencils and piggish pink erasers" Man I love that stuff!

i will print one off, when you write some poetry in Hebrew! Now that would be awesome! heh... jk... I would print this one off too, but instead I have just copied it and emailed it to my teacher friends, ha ha... great minds think alike and so do ours!

Night and God bless yall!

11:58 PM EDT  
Anonymous Matt Purmort said...

Mr Tiffani? Probably don't want to mention that to the board of directors...

10:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous Matthew said...

Don't feel bad, JD. You are in good company. DG is also called "Mr. Tiffany".

11:37 AM EDT  
Blogger eli said...

What an endearing poem, JD. The summer of Summers - a six year homestand...very nice

8:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Amie Lou said...

Wow - I feel so behind! I just read all these comments and saw that my favorite lines were already picked out. Crazy!

Happy Day....

1:40 PM EDT  
Blogger gmw said...

First, no, there isn't anything Tiffani can't do.

Second, JD 3, you've come a long way, my man. Seems like yesterday you were brand spankin' new and showing up in Wilmore. Now you're a grown dude. I think the hair deserves its own poem!

12:46 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey J.D.

Our oldest, Justin, called from Kansas State yesterday celebrating his "last, first day of school" as he will finish his masters this year.

Brother, the trip from your son is to where mine finds himself is over in a heartbeat. Enjoy it while you can.

rds
<><

8:35 AM EDT  
Blogger JohnDeere said...

thanks randy-- for that counsel-- i was wondering what to do next just now--- now i know. jd

3:35 PM EDT  
Anonymous Julie said...

give my love to that little boy and mk, lily, and samuel when you can! i miss the walt clan!

love,
miss julie

4:15 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...