About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Friday, July 21, 2006
This one's for you Mom



I'm back in the saddle again. My sabbatical was temporarily derailed a few days ago. While sitting with my mother on the front porch, the porch swing suddenly collapsed spilling me out on the concrete floor, coffee flailing through the air. Fortunately, Mom was not on the swing but in the adjacent rocking chair. The eye-bolt sheared in two pieces. It could have been a disaster had the usual scene been the case-- me with all four children swinging a full 180 degree arc through the morning air. By grace alone my leg was not caught in the back-swinging position as it crashed, which would have meant sure amputation. I didn't sustain a single scratch-- a little post traumatic stress disorder but no actual scratches. So Mom gave me three lectures and four warnings about how I should re-hang the thing the right way this time. ;-) So this time I purchased two extra-long brass eye hooks with brackets. (say those last 5 words 5 times real fast) You can study the photo above and see just how unbelievably secure this sucker is burrowed into the beam above. This time the entire porch will come down before that mother comes out. (did i just jynx myself!?) So hat tip to Mark Benjamin for this, his last rent-a-husband project on my behalf before he and family leave for Oregon next week.

You can see from the photo below that I'm back in business. This porch swing has been a serious sabbatical place for me. The sun sets every day right over there just behind the teal-brown aging Honda Accord. (for you longer term farmstrongers. . .. yep that's still her). I've spent most early mornings right there on that swing and witnessed about 58 consecutive sunsets there as well. it's a beautiful thing that swing.

ok.ok.ok. i promise, part 2 of the postmodernity post will come next week.

posted by John David Walt | at 7/21/2006 03:42:00 PM

 

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob Mehner said...

never took you for a swinger, jd...
a party crasher, yes, but not a swinger.

11:50 PM EDT  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

mark benjamin is a fine engineer. he can do just about anything when it comes to thinking up ways to fix things.

12:23 PM EDT  
Blogger Michel said...

Wow... amazing you weren't killed...

2:09 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing like extra-long brass eye hooks to fix anything. Hey! You've got my car!
ok, ok, ok, I'll quit whining about wanting to read part 2 of the post-modernity posting! =)

Glad you're safe and sound by the way!!!

6:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick and I are so glad you are ok. Thankful too that Rick's contribution to the porch swing project was the purchase and installation of the chains only.

9:09 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...