About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Sunday, June 04, 2006
Pentecost
Fire breathed heaven at the speed of Light
Declaring day, destroying night
Dark struck back with apple’s snake bite
Now swords of fire to guard Eden’s delight

Fire breathed Heaven cut covenant right
While Abram dreamed of Egypt’s blight
As unconsumed a bush burned bright
Became Firey guide faith’s pillar of sight

Fire breathed Heaven shew Gideon’s might
Clay pots trumpeting, torch wielding fright
Fire on mountain won Elijah’s fight
Chariot aflame gave Heavenly flight

Fire breathed Heaven signed inbreaking Light
King chasing star pursued like a kite
In swaddling clothes his mother wrapped tight
Blazing Son of God Satan’s kryptonite

Fire breathed Heaven on torches of spite
Dark’s final blow, death’s cruciform smite
Candle snuffed out in sepulcher’s plight
Light of World swallowed by tomb’s appetite

Fire breathed Heaven said Angel in white
Jesus is Risen! A new record height
High Court decision reverses snake’s bite
History’s future demands a re-write

Fire breathed Heaven Disciples contrite
Amid falling flames of power and might
Unlearned men suddenly erudite
Religious scholars forever uptight

John David Walt, Jr.
Pentecost 2004

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 6/04/2006 09:21:00 AM

 

6 Comments:

Blogger DGH said...

awesome! Thank you!....BTW.... is it just me? Have you started taking poetry classes...or has God just started to fill your head with creativity? I am not sad at all they are blessing my socks off, but wow...there are thee majory parts of your blog life, family, poetry, and American Idol, heh....

please know I am giving you a hard time...I love the blog you! take care and know that yall are always in our prayers! Thank you for your gift this Sunda!

11:32 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has some of the same cadence and wordplay as a book about baptism (different subject), by walter wangerin.
I ask again, when are you going to gather all of these in a book...perhaps accompanied by photographs....aren't you going on sabbatical....
JD Walt....the poetical Nouwen for emerging generations.....

3:58 PM EDT  
Blogger John David Walt said...

thanks jp-- i am presently trying to collect 40 of my poems into a collection called "40" in celebration of my 40th year of life. so thanks for encouraging me jonathan-- very much. pray for this project. i'm excited about it. i don't anticipate actually getting it published--- but it will be a worthy act of work nonetheless. it is its own end.

4:01 PM EDT  
Blogger b.h. swan said...

thats poetry friend.

9:19 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still say you should attempt to get it published with someone, if not, then just skip them and pay some to get it self published, I'd buy a copy from you...I'm sure others would too...I think you'd be surprised at how many folks would want what you write...humbleness aside, JD, you got a good vibe with this poetry.

I went through Iuniverse and have been overwhelmed/humbled at how people have been touched by my book...it's ranked 2.288 millionth on amazon, so it's not a best seller obviously, but the several hundred people who have bought it have been touched...that's what is great about writing!

My point, my friend, is that your poetry can reach people, it obviously already has touched us farmstrongers.
Go for it! "40" Nice title/concept...like it!

1:38 PM EDT  
Blogger j. said...

i'm with jp on the publishing thing. i know a graphic designer that might be willing to help out. ;)

2:39 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...