About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Sunday, May 28, 2006
Fr. Cantalamessa
Yep-- me and Lily were up and at em at 6am. I took about fifteen minutes of foot pummeling in the bed before getting up with her and touring the grounds here. We've done most everything and it's just now after 8am. Finally, I am joined by the rest of the house.

Yesterday, I started reading a book I've wanted to read for some time now: The Mystery of God's Word, by Raniero Cantalamessa. He is the Preacher to the Papal Household. JP2 brought him in early in his tenure and Benedict has retained him. This guy preaches to the Pope every Sunday. So here's a newsflash-- Raniero Cantalamessa will be coming to our seminary to preach Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday this coming year. It's really unbelievable. Consider yourself invited via this post.

Anyhow-- he is a biblical theologian par excellence. He writes books in such a way that they must be read in the spirit of worship. Here is a sample.

"The Lamb who, in the Book of Revelation, advances to receive the book from the hands of him who sits upon the throne, and then braks open its seals (Rev 5-6), is a plastic image conveying that by his death Jesus has made the book of the Scriptures his own and that only he can completely explain them. The book has become his book; he has inherited it from the Father. All the words of the Law and the Prophets have thus flowed together, like so many drops of water, into the great sea which is the very Word of God, the Son." (p.9-10)

He seamlessly flows into Abrose as though he had been sharing a conversation with him. (and in a sense he has)

"Drink from the springs of the Old and New Testaments, since in the one as in the other you drink Christ. . . . Drink Christ, by drinking his words: the Old Testament is his word and the New Testament is his word. The Sacred Scriptures are drunk and the Sacred Scriptures are eaten when the sap of the Eternal Word descends into the veins of the spirit and into the powers of the soul. . . . Drink this word, but drink it in its proper order: first drink it in the Old Testament, then drink it straightway as well in the New." (p.10)

I'm about to head out to a Disney Woods Church tour to see what i can see.
posted by John David Walt | at 5/28/2006 09:32:00 AM

 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true that is! The were many times when I picked the Word up to read that I felt my spirit literally go, "Yum!". Its (or I should say His) amazing, life giving power courses through the "veins" of my spirit as Cantalamessa puts it. And there so much potent power to aid in prayer afterward.

By the way, hope Tiff's feeling better J.D.. :-)

5:15 PM EDT  
Blogger DGH said...

Wow, now I will try to be sure and come down for that speaking! thanks for the except...it is beatuiful!

9:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Michel said...

Oh my gosh I am so utterly excited... I will totally have to come and hear him... can I stay at your house in the Michelangelo Suite? ;)

Beyond that... what is a Disney Woods Church tour? Explain.

11:24 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...