About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Saturday, May 06, 2006
a comment on poetry

Only the Divine can reveal Heaven on Earth.

But it's the work of the poets to point out those instances of on Earth as it is in Heaven. For this is revelation hidden in ordinary--steeped in every day trees and bushes. Cruciform fires beckon us constantly from our anxious worry and pragmatic hurry and yet our attention races on.

Poets play with words like legos. Pressing them together and pulling them apart until something good takes form and yet its form strangely only lives in the immediacy of its deconstructability. a better block here, another block there. And how will we ever incorporate that block? Oh- perfect!

Poetry, like Legos, is impractical construction. It's practice architecture, for it ultimately amounts to nothing. And yet poetry is the impractical speech that recreates the world. but only for those who will give their attention to a child's construction site.

(read more thoughts on poetry via the new link on the right side of the page)

Photo is of the Navarre Beach Holiday Inn over a year after Hurricane Ivan's visit.

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 5/06/2006 10:41:00 PM

 

3 Comments:

Blogger gmw said...

hey JD,

Glad to hear your vacation was so much fun. Good thoughts on poetry. I'm not sure what kind of poet I am, but I am beginning to venture into the art of prose. I posted a recent piece a few days ago on the blog. Perhaps I can aspire to a poetic spirit in the midst of the prose...

Blessings to you guys.

12:09 AM EDT  
Blogger gmw said...

Oh yeah...it seems to me that the ethos you are projecting regarding poets in particular (including in your essay on the ATS poetry & arts blog) may apply in some measure to artists in general, whether music, visual, poetry, prose, etc. I think that's why I resonate with what you say here. I connect with it, even though I see myself as a prose writer rather than poet. We are both artists--moreover, artists who labor in the vineyard of language and story. We understand that while a picture may sometimes be worth 1000 words, that a small number of words, employed well, paint many vivid pictures.

12:32 AM EDT  
Blogger John David Walt said...

nice guy--- thanks for the comments. will check out the piece you reference here on your blog

10:34 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...