About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Wednesday, March 01, 2006
Ash Wednesday
Our Lily begins her day crying out--not crying, but crying out, shouting and even screaming at the top of her lungs a desperate cry, "MaMa! Daddy! MaMa! Daddy!" Her cry runs down the long hallway, down the steep staircase and reverberates throughout our family room. Almost instantly as the cry reaches my ears I put down what I am reading, and make the journey up to her room, where I find her waiting; standing in the corner of her crib, arms over the railing, hair in her face. . . . waiting. And she is always so glad to be lifted out and carried away. Over and over through her pure, unadulterated, demanding and simple cry she has one desire-- to join the family, to be part of the day, to be led into the land flowing with chocolate milk and cartoons and brothers and sisters and MaMa and Daddy.

Ash Wednesday-- the calling to come into touch with our crying-- which leads to our crying out, "Abba! Abba! Abba!"

I couldn't help reprising this photo-- (not Lily's crib!) which depicts our condition-- enacted on Ash Wednesday. May the journey of these 40 days make visible the invisible bars that confine us, causing us to cry out to God with the simplicity and audacity and persistence and volume of a child.

posted by John David Walt | at 3/01/2006 08:32:00 AM

 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my internet filter will not let me see your photos.
they are not rated are they. :-)
dcw

6:41 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the journey of these 40 days make visible the invisible bars that confine us, causing us to cry out to God with the simplicity and audacity and persistence and volume of a child. -----

i was talking to Rahab, a friend from Kenya, today about suffering. she has birthed four children and mothers one. her first child died at birth, her second child died a few days after birth. her third child, solomon is eleven and her fourth child,ian, the delight of her heart, died at age three.

i asked her to explain her understanding of the situation and she said:

"a week before ian was taken from her, she cried to the Lord, "i surrender all."

"do you think your cry of surrender is related to ian being taken?" i asked.

"ian was going to be taken from me whether or not i surrendered but i think my surrender allowed me to bear the sacrifice." she continued, " when he was conceived, Silas, my husband, and I offered ian to the Lord. we offered him not like many children are offered to the lord but rather we took him to the church and presented him before a prophetess, the likes of Anna. when ian was taken from me, i remembered my sacrifice and cried out to the lord like job. the lord spoke to me audibly with these words, "i will never leave you or forsake you."

she then said, "meme, god's righteous servants suffer."

6:52 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Almost instantly as the cry reaches my ears I put down what I am reading, and make the journey up to her room..." - Thanks for the picture of a father's heart. How much more the Father in heaven! :-)

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY J.D.! I hope you and your beautiful family have a wonderful, noisy ;-) and memorable time together! The Lord bless you guys.

(March 3, 2006)

9:30 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...