About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Thursday, June 23, 2005
More vacation poetry
I wrote this one on vacation. it came out of the struggle to sustain real attention to my children. I was finding my mind lazily wandering to mostly work as they clamored for me to play with them. How can i claim to pay attention to Christ if I can't sustain attention to these three beautiful children before me?

I am stunned and challenged at Jesus answer to the question about who is the greatest in the Kingdom. He held up a child and said, "Unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven." And then he went on to say something like, "anyone who welcomes one of these little ones welcomes me." Think about that. Here's how I do the math: attention to children = attention to Jesus.

UNLESS you change. unless YOU change. unless you CHANGE. YOU never enter. you NEVER enter. you never ENTER.

you can read the poem here

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 6/23/2005 12:17:00 AM

 

4 Comments:

Blogger Corey Mason said...

appreciate the honesty

1:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff JD. I too can relate to the need to really, what I call - "be present" when I am interacting with my little ones. Things change so quickly and before we know it they and we too are much too old to have left so much undone and unsaid.

Hope all is well with you and congrats to Tiffani!!

~E

10:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Michel said...

JD,

I have a very odd read on your poem and so I have been delaying writing just in case I am completely off base. It strikes me as I read it that the IMAGE in the mirror and the REFLECTION in the mirror are often different. I see this myself in my battle with weight, I look in the mirror and I seem fine... I see a picture of myself and "Hello Sea World!" (Sorry- self depricating humor.)

I am not sure why it is so different. I think with pictures, you catch yourself not looking as perfectly put together as you do in the morning. I'm not sure.

Funny when one finally realizes that the vision in the mirror is in many ways, never seen. In your poem, "self-importance" so obscures the image that you never catch more than a glimpse of the real thing, instead you become attracted again and again to the illusion of the perfect self. The important self. (Think "Mirror of Erised" in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

I wonder if both responses,are derived from the same kind of fallenness? I need to think on this more.

11:42 PM EDT  
Blogger John David Walt said...

michel-- a really reflective thought you have going here. keep on.

11:41 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...