About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Thursday, June 09, 2005
Is this for Looking At
One of the gifts we gave Tiffani for her ordination was a small Jerusalem Cross Crucifix made of olive wood and actually from Jerusalem. As I was showing it to David he curiously asked, "What do we use this for, Daddy? Or is it for looking at?" I was stopped in my tracks and I thought to myself, "Wow!" He has neatly categorized the Church right there. We are tempted at every turn to "use" the cross-- our crucified God-- for our own purposes, plans and projects. It's pretty clear, though, isn't it. . . . . . as in, "Behold the Lamb of God."

I said David, that's amazing. You're right. It's for looking at.

More on the imperative symbol of the crucifix later. We are on vacation for a few days. Will try to blog-- may be hard. Don't forget me out there.

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 6/09/2005 10:23:00 PM

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Michel said...

You and Tiffany deserve a vacation... you guys have been running the gambit lately.Also JD, I think it's time you realized... the greatest theologian in the western world lives at your house. David is going to put all of us out of a job.

Oddly enough though, we rarely do what he says as protestants... we only rarely look at the cross, touch the cross or pay it any attention. Have you notices how many people with no relationship with God wear a cross around their neck?

The problem is not that the cross has become commonplace... it's that it hasn't become commonplace... its become ignored instead.

12:42 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...