About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Tuesday, March 29, 2005
Intimate Sonship
I had the privilege of preaching Good Friday this year in Houstson. Chris Tomlin and I co-led Good Friday at the Pavilion in The Woodlands, the Church where we served together in ministry some years ago. It was such a blessing to be part of this.

The Gospel is getting simpler and simpler for me. This is interesting in that I work in a place where theology gets ever more complex. For me it comes down to two basic realities: Intimate Sonship and Extravagant Friendship. Intimate sonship (or daughterhood) provides identity. Extravagant friendship is the mission. Authentic identity comes from being related to God as a son or daughter. Authentic ministry comes only through self-giving relationships with others. To attempt ministry without authentic identity is to unwittingly serve yourself.

To receive identity as a gift-- this is grace. When Jesus was baptized, the Father spoke over him these words, "This is my Son, my beloved, with him I am well pleased." It's interesting that this word came before Jesus did anything; at the beginning of his ministry. That's where it must begin with us. This is what I am learning. The way of the cross is the journey from slavery to sonship to friendship. More on this to come.

At the Good Friday service, Chris and I launched a brand new song-- one we wrote together back in January. The song is called Uncreated One. I'll offer the lyrics here soon. I think it will be a real fruit of our friendship.

Labels:

posted by John David Walt | at 3/29/2005 09:20:00 PM

 

3 Comments:

Blogger Michel said...

JohnDeere,

There is nothing simple about the concepts you raise here, they are quite deep. Friendships are dynamic and changing, our relationship to our parents change and move over time. We ebb and we flow... and all the while the only thing that can remain consistent is our declaration that despite it all we will be friends/family. Even this though, in a fallen world, ebbs and flows.

8:38 PM EST  
Blogger John David Walt said...

great insights here--- mark you are becoming quite the writer.

9:14 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're making me jealous with the talk of co-writing with Tomlin...I'd love to pass some lyrics on to ya'll...deep calling to deep, bro'. Drop me a line when you can...you said you wanted to talk about psalm.

2:27 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...