About Me
Enough about me. This is for [y]ou.
More on Me Here
e-mail me

 Subscribe in a reader

What should i Link to?

Archives

Monday, February 28, 2005
My Lips Hurt really bad
That was to get you to read the post. I'm back from preaching down in Missouri this past weekend-- Cape Girardeau-- home of Rush Limbaugh and Mike Fitzpatrick. Mike, the Youth Pastor, former student at Asbury, invited me to preach there a long time ago. I bet he was pretty nervous about what might happen in light of my recent posts re: preaching and preparation.

Anyhow-- i think it went well. I have really left behind my old paradigm of mastering the material-- or trying to master it. I'm pretty deeply immersed in the Scripture and am committed to understanding it in its context-- however I am much more into seeking wisdom and understanding from God in the text. I preached 3 times there and finally in the third time I felt like I really slipped out of self consciousness and into the zone of impartation. I am such a novice-- after 15 years of preaching-- such a novice and yet feel like I am finally getting somewhere. I have settled so long to get it somewhat right or do it well or say something smart.

LJCHMOMAS.
posted by John David Walt | at 2/28/2005 10:53:00 PM

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Omar said...

That is refreshing to hear, because I am just begning to see my own ego. Looking for humility. Looking for freedom from ego coupled with cyncism. Looking for freedom from affirmation by acomplishment.

Looking to be a preacher of the Good News and not a proclaimer of the wounded idea.

1:47 AM EST  
Blogger Fitz said...

JD, I just have to say that you did a great job and people think very highly of you here :-) Seriously, it was a joy having you visit and preach at La Croix. The message that you allowed God to speak through you spoke to people. Thanks for being a willing vessel...

12:07 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Today...